On the surface, aquaculture is simply the farming of fish, crustaceans, and mollusks. However, when you go a bit deeper, you’ll see it is actually a scientifically advanced way to raise and produce live fish as a responsible food source.
At AquaHarvest, we specialize in Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS, also known as closed-loop). This is a specific type of aquaculture that is classified as a super intensive (high density, small footprint) and delivers such benefits as:
- Healthier, cleaner and better-tasting fish
- Sushi-grade and consistent quality fish; better than wild caught
- Superior biomass densities - up to 2 pounds fish per gallon water
- Significantly increased harvest densities
- Accelerated growth up to 50%
- Year-round production
- Bio-secure and easily structured to qualify as organic
- Controlled environment, enabling a broad selection of suitable species
- Scalability that allows for local production
- Sustainable methodology for long-term farming
- Minimal space required
- Virtually no effluent discharge into the environment; fish waste is used to fertilize plants and in return plants clean water for its re-use with the fish- replicating natural systems for farm wastes
Learn about Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS) with this video from The Conservation Fund.