What is Aquaponics?
Aquaponics is a highly beneficial combination of aquaculture, which is the farming of fish, crustaceans, and mollusks and hydroponics which is the process of growing plants in nutrient-rich water-environments with very little soil.
How does Aquaponics Work
Aquaponics works in a symbiotic manner in which plants are fed the waste of aquatic animals and as a result, the water is cleaned and filtered by the plants and can go back to the fish, crustaceans, mollusks and other aquatic animals. The best part is that without the need to plant in the ground, farmers can raise crops in virtually any environment, in any condition, even indoors. Aquaponics takes this system a few steps further by creating an organic, hybrid system that relies on living fish to support healthy crop production.
What are the Benefits of Aquaponics?
The AquaHarvest approach to aquaponics is among the most scientifically advanced in the industry. We’ve optimized both the set-up and operation of aquaponics systems to deliver such benefits as:
- Efficiency - uses only 10% of the land and 5% of the water of conventional farming
- Accelerated crop production - ready for harvest in half the time
- Locally sustainable - no need for rich soil as a growing environment
- Year-round production via greenhouses
- Small footprint
- Can be fully certified organic
- Grow multiple vegetables and herbs at the same time in one location, catering to local need
- Eliminates excessive chemical fertilizers, soil conditioners, irrigation, and fuel for farm equipment
- Delivers high-quality produce at an attractive value
- Provides jobs and employment for local workers